23 Jun 2011

Artist 95: Gareth Arrowsmith






Feature time again everyone! And we have a real straight to the point illustrator now with Gareth Arrowsmith. The first things that grab you about Gareth's work is that great bounce of colour, bold clean lines and bright red converse shoes. The next thing that grabs you is the fixed expression of his characters, poised between determination, mischief and pure malice. I am a bunny but I will also shiv you. Gareth's work has that joyful touch of  evil about it, like that house party full of colourful characters and the usual suspects, amazing to look at, an overload to the senses but sooner or later of the guests known for his habit of "flipping out" will start setting about anything that looks in his general direction. That's what I like about Gareth's work. It has an honesty and a Beano like charm but doesn't speak down to the audience. It's one of those things you can just get. His house style is well developed and useful in so many ways, but his real strength is in his composition and palette which is almost acid house bright but is put together in a way that makes sense. Gareth does well when combining his characters with really busy kaleidoscopic scenes, and playing to his strengths he will certainly do incredibly well. Just makes you think nowadays Gnasher would be a Staffy, and Dennis wouldn't leave survivors. Wishing him all the best for the future it's Gareth Arrowsmith.

Who are you:
Hello, my name is Gareth Arrowsmith, I am 23 years of age and I come from the North West of the UK. I have a BA (hons) Degree in Graphic Arts: Illustration from Liverpool John Moores University.

What do you do:
I am an Illustrator.

How did you start:
Like a lot of people, from the love of drawing, then school doing my GCSE’s in art then A levels then on to do an Art Foundation, and then Degree, and now trying to make a living out of it.

A Personal statement about you or your work:
My style is often placed in the category of cartoon with a nice dose of humour to go with it. The inspiration for much of my artwork comes from different things such as, the everyday goings on, my own personal likes and dislikes, issues that are happening globally and general issues I deemed suitable to draw about.

Gareth's links:
portfolio
twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment