30 Mar 2011

Artist 80: Joe Cruz










Bold and fierce the work of Joe Cruz is big on colour and on imagination, Joe uses a pared down approach to  isolate and feed the viewer just the right level of information to make sure his concept is a concise as he can get it. Sharp illos with a sharp wit Joe works with a range of media but uses his own great visual language to take a concept by the scruff of the neck and bring it kicking and screaming to as wide an audience as possible. looking at his work you just get it, no explanation needed or asked for and this lean and trimmed approach has some great advantages in the amount and range of work that Joe can indulge in. Joe has created his own freedom and his work has a real sense of purpose, a cheeky reminder that there are some things that you can't get away from and aspects of the surreal and humour can be blended together both in life and art. Great construction and a great wit, it's Joe Cruz.


Who are you:
 Joe Cruz


What do you do:
I a freelance artist/ illustrator living near London.


How did you start:
I have always loved art and drawing and since graduating from Norwich Art School I have a greater passion to work creatively. I love challenging work and challenging people perceptions through my practise. I am also freelancing and I have designed artwork for fashion and advertising companies among others.


A Personal statement about you or your work:
My work is a mixture of bold, strong lines and powerful colour along with a dark sense of humour. I likes using pastels, paints, screen printing and photo juxtaposition to create his work.

Joe's portfolio
twitter
flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment